What is the Mpls City Futures Program?
The Futures Program is for Minnesota’s promising young players, providing a bridge from youth club soccer to Minneapolis City SC. This one-of-a-kind player development initiative is part of the club’s mission to bridge the gap between youth soccer and adult soccer.
The Futures program is not a youth team. It is a new level of Minneapolis City SC that is completely within the framework of the club and exists to nurture Minnesota’s promising young players for the future demands of college, pro, and professionally amateur soccer.
How to Join Futures
Players under the age of 20 (and are at least 16) can receive more information about upcoming player identification sessions by completing the Player Interest Form.
What Is Our Mission?
We want to win a national championship with only Minnesota-based players. To accomplish this goal, we need to continually help improve Minnesota soccer. We understand that this means all players, regardless of club or school affiliation. A rising tide lifts all boats.
Since the club was founded, Minneapolis City SC has been dedicated to providing opportunities for Minnesota soccer players. The purpose of the Futures program is to help bridge the gap between youth soccer and college, pro, and professionally-amateur soccer for Minnesota’s most promising players. To build this bridge, the Futures Program attempts to help solve the following 4 problems.
Structure: Opportunities for players nearing age 18-19-20 often fall apart or do not exist outside of college soccer and many players lose interest at this age 18-19-20 because there is not another level of competitive soccer beyond U18/U19 to which to aspire.
Expense: The cost of elite-level youth soccer can exceed $4,000/year. This cost can exclude talented Minnesota players who do not have the financial means to participate, essentially shutting them out of “the system”.
Time & Travel: Elite teams typically involve extensive travel. Minnesota’s young players often spend more time traveling than playing on the field. The 20 and under age group also have jobs and social commitments that start to make such travel prohibitive or undesirable.
Roadmap: An immediate jump to USSF Division 1 (MLS) or professional soccer abroad is often unattainable. A large number of Minnesota youth players still lack awareness of Mpls City SC and the competitive play opportunities (USL, NPSL, UPSL) that may exist for them beyond high school, club, and college.
Who Does The Futures Program Support?
The Futures Program is designed to support 40-50 of the most promising Twin Cities-based soccer players, under age 20, with aspirations to continue playing beyond their teenage years at the highest levels. These players may have one or more of the following characteristics.
- They require an accelerated environment that will prepare them for collegiate soccer
- They desire a higher level of competition to augment their current club environment
- They have aged out of the Olympic Development Program
- They can no longer afford or justify the cost to play high-level competitive youth soccer
- They can’t justify the time commitment to travel nationally for high-level competitive soccer
- They do not feel the traditional youth system offers them anything else to advance their development
- They are a late-bloomer and have been overlooked in the youth player identification process
- They are lost within the US Soccer system and need to regain traction
- They are talented young players who deserve to be in the Mpls City NPSL/UPSL system but need time to develop
Futures Program Format
The Mpls City Futures Program is a competitive intra-club soccer program designed to nurture younger players for the demands of college, pro, and professionally-amateur soccer without the cost and travel demands required by some other programs.
The program consists of three primary components:
- Futures Training – a training environment that includes the entire player pool
- Futures League – a 7v7 intra-club competition
- Futures Friendlies – a chance for players to feature in 11v11 exhibition matches against external competition
Program Features & Player Benefits
- A one-of-a-kind program on earth, probably.
- Players can continue to play with their club teams, high school squads, and college programs.
- 8 months in a high-level training environment
- Fast-paced, ultra-competitive, 7v7 league
- Opportunity to feature in exhibition games
- Mpls City Training Kit & Futures League Jersey
- Goalkeeper jersey & glove allowance
- Monitored by Certified Athletic Trainers
- Guidance from the City coaching staff
- Access to player mentors from Mpls City player pool
- Club membership with voting rights
- Exposure to college and semi-pro scouts
- A path into senior NPSL/UPSL squads
- Stats & rosters on the Mpls City Website
- No travel. All local.
- A chance to make some magical memories
The Cost of Twin Cities Soccer
Unfortunately, pay-to-play is a reality in United States soccer. Until things change at the federation, this is the soccer world we live in.
The annual cost to play traditional youth soccer in the Twin Cities can range from $1,800 on the lower end and $3,900 on the higher end. To play within a national travel elite league or youth academy, the costs can be in upwards of $6,000-$10,000 per player per year.
With a primarily all-volunteer staff, a super awesome group of club members, and the unique format of the Futures Program, Mpls City SC aims to offer Futures programming at a cost below $900 for 2020-2021. In addition, we strive to offer scholarships for at least 20% of the player pool.
Are you awesome? Want to help lower the cost of the Futures Program for our player pool and increase the availability of scholarship funds? Consider becoming a member, buying some merchandise, and making a tax-deductible donation to the MPLS City Futures Program.